SACF Board of Directors
- Jerry Streisel (Chairman) and his wife to Sussex after retiring from a 34 year career at PotashCorp where he held positions in Saskatoon, Sussex and Northbrook, IL. Throughout his career, Jerry held positions at the Saskatoon and Sussex mine sites and more recently served as the manager of Public Relations and the Director of IT Services of the corporation. During the nine years Jerry lived in the Sussex Area he volunteered for a variety of community organizations including the Dairy Town Classic Basketball Tournament Committee, Planning and Advisory Committee for the Town of Sussex and he was Councillor for the Village of Sussex Corner.
- Fennella Brewer came to the Community Foundation in December 2014. She moved to the Norton-Apohaqui area in 1976. She retired in 2014 after a 30-year career with the Fundy Library Region, most recently as Manager of the Sussex Regional Library. She believes that family literacy is essential to life-long learning and that parents and grandparents need the support of community to equip them with the resources to ensure their child’s success. She served on the committee for Preventive Action for Community Kids (PACK) for several years. Fennella has a daughter and granddaughter living in Beijing, China and a son in Calgary, Alberta.
- Peter Davidson joined the Sussex Area Community Foundation in January 2013. He is a Chartered Management Accountant and Chartered Accountant in Saint John with J.D. Irving as Leader, Financial Planning and Analysis. Peter enjoys skiing and curling with the Sussex Golf and Curling Club.
- Marshall Fanjoy joined SACFI in 2015. Marshall has worked in Sussex with J. Clark and Son and recently retired after being the Dealership Manager. He and his wife Barbara have five children and three grandchildren. They live on a farm outside Sussex. Marshall brings not only his work experience to the Sussex Area Community Foundation, but his volunteer experience with the Local Service District Committee of Waterford, Sussex Regional Library and as treasurer of the Anglican Parishes of Waterford and St. Mark.
- Debbie Freeze joined SACFI in 2013. As a recently retired as a school teacher, Debbie joins the Scholarship Committee. She and her husband own a dairy farm outside Sussex and they have two grown daughters who also have careers in agriculture. Debbie is active with community groups in Smith’s Creek, Sussex Middle School Breakfast Club and the Sussex Literacy Initiatives and Cultural Events (SLICE).
- Al Gerrish became a director in 2012 and is lawyer who practices property law, wills and estates in Sussex. Al has been involved with and advised SACFI since its inception in 2003, but not as a director. Al has a strong interest in agriculture, sports cars and the successful future of Sussex and area. Al received his law degree from UNB Fredericton in 1977 and presently serves on the Law Society of New Brunswick Bar Council.
- Susan Mertinat – Susan is a lifelong resident of Sussex and recently retired after a 35 year career with a financial institution. Susan has two sons and enjoys visiting Florida in the winter. Susan brings volunteer experience from her involvement with the Sussex Downtown Business Association, Kings East Development Partnership and the Atlantic Community Church.
- Kim Pearson is a Financial Advisor with Sun Life Financial Inc. in Sussex. She has lived in Sussex since she was three and loves to be able to give back when and where possible. Kim is an active member of the Rotary Club of Sussex and volunteers for the Salvation Army. As well as her community involvement, Kim enjoys photography, cottage life and being outdoors.
- Sheryl Tabor is a lawyer who has been serving the residents of Sussex and surrounding areas for nearly 18 years. Her practice includes Real Property transactions, Wills and Estate matters, Family Law and Corporate work. Sheryl obtained a Bachelor of Science from Dalhousie University and a law degree from the University of New Brunswick. Sheryl is actively involved in the community, and serves on several volunteer boards, which include the Sussex Health Centre Foundation Board and the Kiwanis Nursing Home Board. She is also a member of the Parent School Support Committee at Sussex Middle School, where her daughter attends school. In her free time, Sheryl enjoys snowmobiling and horseback riding, a passion she and her daughter.
- Miriam Verschoor joined SACFI in April of 2012 as the part-time Executive Director. Miriam has a Business Degree from UNB in Fredericton and formerly worked for the federal government as a Planning Analyst with the RCMP. She volunteers with St. Paul’s United Church and coaches speed skating for the Hampton and Saint John Speed Skating Clubs and coaches soccer.