Sussex Area Community Foundation (SACF) was incorporated in August 2003
In 2004 SACF joined Community Foundations of Canada.
The Community Foundation pools community donations for the area returning investment returns to the community in the form of community grants and scholarships. The Foundation has provided support to Mill Cove, Norton, Belleisle, Apohaqui, Sussex, Sussex Corner, Penobsquis, Smith’s Creek and Cambridge-Narrows. Since awarding the first community grant in 2005, the Community Foundation has returned over $1,000,000.00 the the Sussex area.
SACF annually awards Sussex Area Community Foundation Scholarships, and Earl & Joan Memorial Scholarships, as well as administering the Frances Simpson Memorial Scholarships, Friars Family Scholarships, Sussex Class Alumni “Spirit” Award and SRHS Class of 1998 ‘Unsung Hero’ Awards.
SACF is a member of Community Foundations of Canada (CFC), a network of 191 community foundations.
- Kathleen Davidson – Chairperson
- Cathie MacLeod – Vice-Chairperson
- Peter Davidsoon – Treasurer
- Pat Etheridge – Secretary
Directors at Large:
- Laura Adair
- Patrick Cunningham
- Kathleen Davidson
- Peter Davidson
- Steve Downey
- Patricia Etheridge
- Mark Fleming
- Mark Flewwelling
- James Keirstead
- Catherine MacLeod
- Paul Maguire
- Stacey Stairs
- Jessica Walker
- Betty Weatherby
Directors are nominated to the Sussex Area Community Foundation from a committee of the following:
- Chairperson (or Past President of SACF Inc.) Non voting member of the Committee
- Mayor of the Town of Sussex
- Mayor of the Village of Sussex Corner
- President of the Sussex & District Chamber of Commerce
- President of a local service club
- Mayor of the Village of Norton
*Board members are appointed for a maximum of 2 terms not exceeding 6 years