Sussex Area Community Foundation Inc. In 2003, a group of community minded individuals considered starting a community foundation for the Sussex Area that would pool resources to assist charitable organizations in the community. In May, 2004, the first donation was made to the Sussex Area Community Foundation in the form of a generous local resident Leo Forbes leaving the residue of his estate to the community. The Sussex Area Community Foundation is provincially incorporated and has at least 12 directors appointed by local mayors and service groups. These Directors administer the operations of the Community Foundation. The directors come from diversified backgrounds in our community with the focus of making our community a better place to work, live, work, learn and play. What has Sussex Area Community Foundation done in Sussex since 2004? Through our grants process to not-for-profits, SACF has provided 271 grants for local programs and projects valued at $615,000. As well, 152 scholarships have been provided to local graduates of totaling over $288,000. Sussex Area Community Foundation also administers the Frances Simpson Memorial Scholarship, the Matthew Palmer Scholarship, the Friars Family Scholarship and the Sussex Class Alumni Scholarship for local students. A total of 22 Earl J. and Joan H. Cunningham Memorial Scholarships have been awarded to local students since 2009. Sussex Area Community Foundation has benefited from the leadership of the following fine individuals who have served as Chairperson:
Important Achievements of the Sussex Area Community Foundation Inc.
- 2005 – 2006 Fred Brenan
- 2006 – 2010 Richard Sullivan
- 2010 – 2012 Donna Floyd
- 2013 – 2014 Gale Jeffrey
- 2015 Allison Gerrish
- 2016 Scott Walker
- 2017 Jerry Streisel
- 2018 – 2019 Fennella Brewer
- 2020 Marshall Fanjoy
DID YOU KNOW…
- 2004 SACFI became and Incorporated Not-for-Profit
- 2005 First Grants Issued
- 2006 Received the Paul Harris Fellow award on behalf of Mr. Leo Robert Forbes from The Rotary Club of Sussex
- 2012 November 9, the Sussex Area Community Foundation celebrated the first “Random Act of Kindness” Day in the Province of New Brunswick
- 2016 PotashCorp provided a community donation for 5 Scholarships for four years and community grants for 10 years.
Sussex Area Community Foundation will issue tax receipts for donation given to the Foundation. Sussex Area Community Foundation accepts gifts from not only funds, but bequests, gifts of publicly-traded securities, life insurance gifts and gifts of RRSP or RRIFs.
- Sussex Area Community Foundation is a member of the Community Foundation of Canada with 190 other Community Foundations in each province and territory of Canada.
- Sussex Area Community Foundation accepts grants in March and September each year from local not-for-profit organizations who support our local communities.
- In June each year, the Sussex Area Community Foundation administers scholarships to local graduates totaling over $27,000 each year.
- Sussex Area Community Foundation directors also participate on the Wellness Network and Sussex and District Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2012, Sussex Area Community Foundation hired the first part-time Executive Director.
Sussex Area Community Foundation holds the following funds:
- Community Fund
- Earl and Joan Cunningham Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Ellen’s Tour Fund
- Food Bank Appeal 2020
- Sussex Accessibility Fund
- Sussex Class Alumni Fund
- The Class of 1998 Unsung Hero Award